
NOT!
I went to give platelets. This is when they stick you only one time - the blood goes out, they take out your platelets-then you get your whole blood back-all with the same needle stick. The process takes about 3 hours from start to finish. I watched a movie - "Twister" - and still it took a little longer. You can give platelets every 3 days. Whole blood you can give every 8-9 weeks. I'm going back June 13th to give again. I was able to give 2 pints of platelets. The hardest part was squeezing that ball in my hand for over 2 hours. And then I started getting really hungry. Then when I got up to leave, wow! I got dizzy and had to lay back down for a while. This is a real worthwhile objective to do and I will do this at least once a month now. The platelets go to people with low platelet count and also cancer / leukemia patients. Me and Cathie did this procedure in 2003 when My Mom needed platelets. I had to go to San Antonio to do because my hometown didn't have this capability back in 2003. Now they do and I really feel that this is a great thing to do. So if you have a day off or some available time, I really do recommend this-at least once. Try it, you might want to continue. And this does not interfere with giving whole blood. Must think, one day you or a family member might need this. And thank God for people that's willing to give a little of themselves for others.




No comments:
Post a Comment